|Written by Administrator|
|Wednesday, 28 May 2014 14:43|
Late Tuesday night around 10:30 pm, tragedy struck at the Crossroad Mall located near the Secretariat. The gaming zone at the second floor caught fire. Due to the late hour, luckily only around 12 people were on the second floor at the time of the incident. 8 of them managed to escape but unfortunately 4 got stranded. 6 fire tenders reached the spot on intimation and were successful in rescuing the stranded people. It is said that the rescue work got hampered due to the fact that there was only one entrance to the mall and not sufficient water available. Most of the shops were closed at the time of the incident and the glass doors had to be broken to carry out the rescue work.
Till late night policemen and firemen were at the site of the incident. It took almost two hours to control the fire. The loss due to the fire is estimated in crores with the fire spreading to other sections of the second floor. The reason for the fire is under investigation with initial reports putting it down to a short circuit.